The Food Fox on RSG
This Thursday just after 9 on RSG, I will be in the studio with Ilse van der Merwe from the blog, The Food Fox. We will be making a delicious summer salad. Perfect for the scorchers we have been having here in Cape Town. Reading through her blog is such a pleasure, I sense her deep, sincere love affair with food and can relate to that so I cannot wait to meet her in person.
The Food Fox was actually such a surprise and also the timing was so right for this specific week. Let me explain! Anybody with an 11 year old girl will understand that dealing with BFF’s or being in the Best Friend’s Club is so vitally important, but also if you do NOT make it to the cool group, how devastating it can be for the little ones. My whole week, I have been “lecturing” my little Missy on opening herself to new friends, and together we have been praying for her to find more friends. Part of my lecture to her is that she must be a good friend to everybody and she will be surprised to find friends in the most unlikely people. After all, there is a saying: A friend is an enemy you just don’t know yet!’ With this in mind, it was such a surprise to find The Food Fox right at my doorstep. This lovely blog is run by Ilse van Der Merwe and a must see for the food lover.
This is what she says:
“I really love food. I love it so much that I want to be surrounded by it every day. That means eating it, dreaming up menu’s, shopping at markets, reading lovely food magazines, paging through my collection of recipe books, writing my blog, tweeting about my food adventures, and planning foodie trips in South Africa and in the rest of the world. I am also working on a fantastic new TV series for foodies in South Africa, which will hopefully be aired before the end of 2012.
I live in Stellenbosch, one of the oldest and most beautiful towns in South Africa. We have such a wonderful lifestyle here in the Cape Winelands – a truly magical place for people who love food, wine and celebrating life with family and friends.
This is my blog about the food that I make at home. My food is mostly uncomplicated, packed with flavour, and not difficult to make. This is what I share with my family and friends, and it makes me tremendously happy to share it with you.”
Stellenbosch, I know is even hotter than Cape Town at the moment so when I suggested something cool to make for the RSG show, she was ready with this luscious Grilled nectarine salad with roasted chicken, Danish feta, rocket and peanuts. I have bought the ingredients and tonight we will be having this outside around the pool with fresh bread and jugs of chilled ice tea!
Grilled nectarine salad with roasted chicken, Danish feta, rocket and peanuts.
Ingredients for salad: (adjust the quantities as you like)
• rocket leaves (baby spinach leaves will also work well)
• cold roasted chicken breasts, sliced (I buy it ready-roasted)
• Danish feta cheese
• fresh nectarines, sliced
• honey and freshly ground black pepper
• roasted peanuts (chopped or whole)
Ingredients for the dressing:
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 3 tablespoons of “cold-pressed extra virgin” olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
• 1 teaspoon honey
1. Preheat your oven’s grill. Arrange the skinny peach slices on a baking sheet, drizzle with a little honey and sprinkle with black pepper and roast for about 5 minutes or until lightly colored. Allow to cool (otherwise they will wilt the rocket leaves instantly).
2. Arrange the rocket, chicken, feta, roasted peaches and peanuts on a large, flat salad platter.
3. Whisk all the ingredients for the sauce and pour over the salad. Serve immediately, preferably, or keep the salad cold in the refrigerator until just before serving.