Jack Parow ‘s Braai Broodjie – When kitch becomes cool!
Jack Parow‘ s Braai Broodjie! Has Nina gone mad? Why Jack Parow and what’s he got to do with a Braai Broodjie(toasted sandwich)? For those of you who don’t know, Jack Parow is an Afrikaans rapper that has taken the country and the world by storm. Do I like his music? “No!”
Do I like the image he portrays? “NO!” Then why on earth do I write about him, I hear you all ask? Well, I think it is really great that kitsch is now cool, old-fashioned has become vintage and what was once common, is now retro.
Old favorite recipes have been revived again and no one needs to be ashamed of serving old classics like Green Bean Stew and Tomato Bredie(stew) or the good old South African Classic – the Braai Broodjie.
The inspiration came from reading a magazine ( I think it was a Sarie Kos)over the weekend while lounging at our family home in Hermanus and in the magazine I saw the idea of making a Jack Parow Braai broodjie by cutting the slices of bread lenghtwise, resembling Jack’s hideous cap. I kind of liked the idea, but wanted to move away from the ordinary and take it up a notch to the extraordinary. So the end result is nothing but kitsch, old-fashioned or common. In fact, I think my braai broodjie is “Cooler as Ekke!”(translated – cooler than me)
Jack Parow Braai Broodjie (bread)
1 big olive ciabatta
1 big eggplant – sliced in 5mm slices lengthwise
2 big organic tomatoes or about 8 sun-dried tomatoes
4 tbsp Pesto Princess Basil Pesto
fresh herbs of your choice. 2 tbsp cream cheese
4-5 slices of mature cheddar cheese
Pre heat the oven, brush eggplant with some olive oil, season and roast in oven for 5-10 minutes or until the egg plant has browned. Alternatively, brown in a skillet on the stove. Slice ciabatta open lengthwise and start packing the fillings. You can basically use what ever fillings you have available! Close the ciabatta and place in a grid that can close. Grill on an open fire(very low heat), allowing the bread to brown and the cheese to melt and become all gooey. Serve with your favorite meat and a fresh salad.
Ps: For more information re. Jack Parow, visit his website , but here are a few interesting facts:
- A little know fact is that Parow started Die Antwoord with Ninja and Yo-Landi Visser, but he chose to follow his own creative path.
- He has his own clothing label, Parowphernalia and his special braai sauce will the shelves in 2011.
- Parow is the face of the Pendoring Awards 2010.
- Jack Parow was the ambassador for Movember in Holland in November 2010
- A GPS with Jack Parow’s voice is available: www.gps-creative.com/products/jack-parrow.
- Jack Parow’s website hosts a KIEF online video game: www.jackparow.com.
- Cooler as Ekke was play listed on 5 FM. Only Fokofpolisiekar has managed to get all Afrikaans tracks play listed on this station. I miss was the next single to be on high rotation on 5FM. Three is a charm with the play listing of Byellville in April 2011.
- Parow’s tracks are on high rotation on most radio stations in South Africa, including Y FM, SA’s largest Urban youth station.
- Must read: www.thoughtleader.co.za/davidjsmith/2010/02/03/is-afrikaans-cooler-as-engels/
- The music videos for Cooler as Ekke and Dans Dans Dans reached No1 on MK’s Top 10.
- He is scared of spiders.
Chef’s Note: The post was not at all sponsored or paid for, nor is it a reflection of my taste of music, it was merely a little light-hearted fun. The fact that my children are amazed with their mom for even knowing the name Jack Parow is pretty cool, ek sê!