Beer-battered Fish….the perfect Street food!
People all over the world love Streetfood and every country has its own version of this Grab-n-run-meal….pizza, hamburgers, springrolls, tacos, wraps etc. As you go through the posts you see recipes for all of these delicious quick meals.
Here in South Africa, people love Fish and Chips as a take-away and if you walk past building sites in and around the city, you get the whiff of fish,chips and malt vinegar. Normally this delicacy is wrapped in newspaper and you can buy pickled onions on the side. Although it is not a true South African meal and no longer a cheap meal, it is warm, filling and very tasty.
Beer Battered Fish
1 bottle beer- I used a light lager
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg (lightly beaten)
1 pound cod fillets (or halibut, or haddock, etc., cut into serving sized pieces)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup flour
oil for frying
1. Mix the beer, flour, baking powder, salt and egg into a batter in a bowl.
2. Season the fish with salt and pepper.
3. Dredge the fish in the flour and shake off any excess.
4. Dip the fish into the batter.
5. Fry the fish in preheated 375F oil until cooked, about 4-5 minutes.
For chips , we prefer oven chips. I pre-cook the potatoes for about 7 minutes and slice it is wedges. Drizzle with olive oil and your favorite seasoning and bake in a hot oven (200C) until brown and crispy.
The lovely Pam
from For the love of Cooking send me this award and I am so grateful and honored all at the same time. Pam comes to my blog on a daily basis and always leaves such encouraging thoughts behind.
The award originated in Uruguay, and is given for creativity and design, see http://arteypico.blogspot.com/ for more information.
Here are the rules that accompany this award.
1. Choose 5 blogs that you consider deserving of this award for their creativity, design, interesting material, and their contribution to the blogging community.
2. Each award has to have the name of the author and a link to his/her blog.
3. Each award winner has to show the award and put the name of and link to the blog that presented her/him with the award.
4. The award winner and the one who has given the prize has to show the link of Arte Y Pico blog so everyone will know the origin of this award.
5. Show these rules.
I have seen so many amazing sites in the last while and Foodgawker has opened so many new sites to me, that this is the hard part…..to nominate 5 !!!!So I am choosing 5 sites that I think is worthy of an artistic award. Maybe your site falls in another category and I will send you a different award. No ill feelings????
1. Liz from Notes from my food diary – I love the natural light that she manages to capture in all her photos and her recipes are simply scrumptious.
2.Alan and Barb from Pannifer’s Food and such – for their last post “Finding enough”. The photo is so different and beautiful.
3.Robyn from Lick your own bowl – she is a South African(that is reason enough for an award>…go bokke!!!), but her photography is simply stunning especially her last post “Pea Shoots and Spring Lamb”.
4.Haalo from Cook almost anything at least once.. Her food styling is simple yet beautiful and I enjoy visiting this site.
5. Wendy from A wee bit of cooking – she is a genius with the camera and all her photos are natural and unspoilt.
I am inspired by you guys!!!!!! Play along or just accept.